|It’s Just Good Teaching: The Learn Unit, Verbal Behavior, and Verbal Developmental Milestones|
|Friday, May 28, 2010|
|6:00 PM–9:00 PM |
|Travis B (Grand Hyatt)|
|Area: VRB/TBA; Domain: Applied Behavior Analysis|
|CE Instructor: James Hoko, Ph.D.|
|SHIRA A. ACKERMAN (Teachers College, Columbia University), DAWN M. SIDELL (Northwest Autism Center)|
|Description: The verbal behavior approach has been successfully implemented within an inclusive preschool for children with autism and their typically developing peers in eastern Washington. Domino Project Preschool services six children on the autism spectrum and six children who have been considered typically developing by their pediatricians. Verbal behavior is a research-based approach used to provide intensive and appropriate instruction for all students based on their current level of verbal development. The verbal developmental milestones and verbal behavior analysis theory created by Greer & Ross, 2008, is the methodology implemented in the preschool. The full day workshop will provide in-depth instruction on how to implement key components of verbal behavior with children with autism. Attendees will also receive opportunities for hands-on practice with the guidance of the instructors. Data will also be used to demonstrate the effectiveness of the verbal behavior approach at Domino Project Preschool.|
|Learning Objectives: This workshop has the following objectives:
1. Attendees will learn the background of Northwest Autism Center and how Domino Project Preschool began.
2. Attendees will learn the key components and implementation of the verbal behavior theory, verbal developmental milestones, and Skinner’s verbal behavior theory.
3. Attendees will learn everyday implementation of these effective practices in the regular school setting.
4. Attendees will learn effective assessment techniques, the curricular areas to teach, and how to teach them effectively.
5. Attendees will learn data collection procedures in the school setting, how to collect useful data, and how to use it.
6. Attendees will be given data to support the usage of the verbal behavior theory at Domino Project Preschool.|
|Activities: The workshop will include a lecture, group discussion, Group practice activities, videos, and collaboration|
|Audience: Educators, related service providers, and professionals working with children.|
|Content Area: Practice|
|Instruction Level: Basic|