Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
ABAI is a member of the Societies Consortium on Sexual Harassment in STEMM, the strategic focus of which is to, “[build] communities actively intolerant of sexual and intersecting bases of harassment and [build] bridges for collective efforts across STEMM—among societies, academic and research institutions, teaching hospitals and others, as well as researchers, faculty, and students.”
Click the button below to nominate a recipient of the Award for Distinguished Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. Recommendations for 2022 will be accepted through September 1, 2021.
The deadline for the Scholarly Contributions to DEI Paper Competition has passed. Check back in Fall 2021 for information about the 2022 competition.
The deadline for the Innovative Student Research Grant in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion has passed. Check back in Fall 2021 for information about the 2022 grant.
View Statement on Conversion Therapy and Practices, 2021
View DEI sessions at the 47th Annual Convention
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Board
Mission: The mission of the ABAI Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Board is to foster and develop an inclusive, equitable, and just environment for all individuals and groups, within the science and practice of behavior analysis and beyond.
2020 Board Activities
Behavior scientists and practitioners have the capacity to contribute to individual and collective well-being through scientific and practical endeavors that include substantive and diverse representation. Toward that end, the DEI Board is dedicated to:
- Recognizing the value of each individual and group;
- Maintaining an ongoing and vigilant commitment to the advancement of knowledge on DEI issues through research, study, collaboration, and communication of that knowledge to the scientific community, policy makers, and the public;
- Including, at every level of science and practice, those who have been traditionally marginalized and under-resourced;
- Creating environments that are welcoming, safe, and encouraging to all;
- Promoting implementation of practices that support and respect diversity of identity and experience;
- Establishing formal and effective communication and feedback mechanisms related to inclusion within ABAI;
- Developing and promoting the use of metrics of diversification, inclusion, and equitywithin ABAI and behavior analysis in general;
- Evaluating the impact of ABAI’s DEI initiatives;
- Supporting ABAI Boards in relation to DEI efforts;
- Providing policy and procedure recommendations to ABAI Council.
Carol Pilgrim (2019–2022)
R. Wayne Fuqua