Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Board
Mission: The mission of the ABAI Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Board is to foster and develop an inclusive, equitable, and just environment for all individuals and groups, within the science and practice of behavior analysis and beyond.
Behavior scientists and practitioners have the capacity to contribute to individual and collective well-being through scientific and practical endeavors that include substantive and diverse representation. Toward that end, the DEI Board is dedicated to:
- Recognizing the value of each individual and group;
- Maintaining an ongoing and vigilant commitment to the advancement of knowledge on DEI issues through research, study, collaboration, and communication of that knowledge to the scientific community, policy makers, and the public;
- Including, at every level of science and practice, those who have been traditionally marginalized and under-resourced;
- Creating environments that are welcoming, safe, and encouraging to all;
- Promoting implementation of practices that support and respect diversity of identity and experience;
- Establishing formal and effective communication and feedback mechanisms related to inclusion within ABAI;
- Developing and promoting the use of metrics of diversification, inclusion, and equity within ABAI and behavior analysis in general;
- Evaluating the impact of ABAI’s DEI initiatives;
- Supporting ABAI Boards in relation to DEI efforts;
- Providing policy and procedure recommendations to ABAI Council.
Elizabeth Fong (2021-2024)
Ramona Houmanfar (2021-2022)
Kent Johnson (2020-2022)
R. Wayne Fuqua
Volunteer for DEI Board
ABAI is a member of the Societies Consortium on Sexual Harassment in STEMM, the strategic focus of which is to, “[build] communities actively intolerant of sexual and intersecting bases of harassment and [build] bridges for collective efforts across STEMM—among societies, academic and research institutions, teaching hospitals and others, as well as researchers, faculty, and students.”
Grants & Awards
Distinguished Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Award
The deadline for submitting nominations for the Distinguished Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Award has passed. Please check back in summer 2022 for details about 2023 nominations.
Scholarly Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Paper Competition
The deadline for the Scholarly Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Paper Competition is October 27, 2021. Past winners may be found here.
Innovative Student Research Grant in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The application period for the Innovative Student Research Grant in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is now open! The deadline is February 2, 2022.